Box of Rain

Box of Rain

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Chapter 13


 It had been a long, draining, emotional day, and as he sat alone in his hotel, he looked through his phone, contemplating making a call he knew could lead to trouble. He felt especially alone that night after he left the wake and saw all of the couples leaving together, and for tonight at least, he didn’t want to be alone.


 The number he was contemplating dialing was Lisa’s, the pretty single mother from his former job who he knew lived close to the beach in the same area. He guessed she would be willing to see him if he called, but a part of him was also hesitant. Where would this go? Where might it lead?


In the end he sent her a friendly text inquiring about her availability that night. She seemed to like him, like his company, and had invited him out before. They were two consenting adults. That’s what he told himself. 


An hour later they were on Himitangi Beach watching the sun go down. It was a spectacular sunset, and he was enjoying the presence of another person to watch it with. Himitangi was one of those rare beaches you could drive your car on, and they settled into a peaceful and comfortable silence together as they watched the sun go down.

  After the 2nd glass of wine, their knees slowly touched, and he felt that sense of pending sexual energy that was unmistakable when you felt it. It had been a long time for him, and he took stock of her again in that moment before going further.


“So, at the risk of ruining the mood, my grandfather always told me that if there was an elephant in the room, you should introduce it,” John began. “There’s obviously some energy here between us, and I think we should figure out what it is.”


“Well doc, it’s no secret that I dropped a few hints about wanting to be with you. I see something in you that I think other people may sometimes miss. It’s a kind of pain, a kind of mystery that draws me to you. I’m not just looking for a fling though, so please do respect that.”


“Okay. I get that. I was raised by a single mother and I respect that,” John responded. “Truthfully I can’t promise you anything right this second, as I’m still a real work in progress. I reached out to you tonight because I didn’t want to be alone and you’ve been kind to me. I can feel the energy between us and I’m sure that you can too. I’ll let you decide where we go from here.”


She took a long look at the ocean and then back at John before responding. She reached down, kissed him on the mouth, and gently led him back to the car.


“Let’s go home Doc. Let’s go home.”



Back at her modest country house, they undressed each other slowly, and he found himself surrendering to his baser instincts, as he took her body with a firm hand, lowered her onto the bed, and entered into her. He thrust himself deeper and deeper inside of her until he felt her pure, unfiltered release wash over him and through him. Moments later he joined her in this release, and then they both laid there quietly wondering what to say next.

No comments:

Post a Comment