Box of Rain

Box of Rain

Friday, February 5, 2016

Chapter 3


 Navigating the social world in a new country had been an interesting challenge for John. New Zealanders celebrated the culture of drinking, and in another incarnation he would have embraced this world wholeheartedly. But he was aware that he had come here to take a break from all of that, and for the most part he had done okay.


One situation in particular that had been a challenge involved one of the administrators at his new job, who had been persistent in asking him to join her in various social activities. He knew that part of the healing process involved reconnecting with other people again, but dating was something he still wasn’t quite ready for.


 He looked down at his inbox and saw there was a note there with “drinks after work?” written in permanent marker. It was a bold move and he chuckled at her persistence. If it was in pencil he may have considered it, but the marker just seemed so, well, permanent. 


He decided he would go and speak to her rather than continue to avoid the situation. It was a new policy he was working on, steer into the skids rather than avoiding them. Even the uncomfortable things. Especially the uncomfortable things. 


Her name was Lisa and she was a single mother who worked in the office. She was thin, pretty, with long black hair, and had a kind of hardiness that was common in Kiwi women. He liked her.


“Uh, I’m guessing you left this on my desk? I’ve got it narrowed down to you and the guy from accounting,” he said as he waved the note in the air.

“Brilliant detective work doctor.” She said with a smile. “You Americans sure play hard to get.”

“It’s not that exactly. And I sure as hell won’t use the, it’s not you it’s me, line on you. But, uh, I’m kind of starting over here in New Zealand and taking things a little slow.”

“Hence the offer to go for a drink. There’s nothing on there about picking out China patterns.”

“Well I don’t want to give you the wrong idea. I’m not quite all there right now, despite the obvious debonair confidence I project. Just give me a little time."

“I know about you, you know. I’ve even read some of your books. Just think it over I guess.”

“For sure I will” he said as he smiled.

“One thing though Doc”

“Yea?”

“This offer doesn’t last forever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment