Box of Rain

Box of Rain

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Chapter 41

The next morning he scheduled a walk with Gao, a local shaman and guide who took people on walks around the island. He was somewhat of an institution in Rarotonga, and John looked forward to learning something new today, in spite of his burgeoning hangover. He doubted many people had survived a night with the aunties without at least a little headache.


Taking on “the needle” was something he hoped he was ready for. He had scheduled 5 hours of hiking time with Gao, and because it was Christmastime it would be just the two of them on today’s walk. He was excited to spend time with a real life guru. 


For the first hour of the walk, Gao stopped often to explain and expound on details about the island including the legends, myths, and locus superstitions. Additionally he stopped to pick some plants and herbs and explained to John how they were used in local medicines. It was fascinating.


During the 2nd hour John decided that he would try to get to know Gao a little better. How many times in one’s life did a person get to pick the brain of a real life shaman? In a way he had always aspired to be a guru himself. Without the walking of course.


“So Gao let me ask you,” John began. “What’s it all about for you? The lady at my hotel said you’ve been doing this for 20 years and you’re obviously in great shape. But do you get tired repeating yourself sometimes? I’m a psychologist so I also repeat myself. Anyway, please don’t take offense. I’m genuinely curious.”


“It’s funny you know,” Gao replied. “There was a time when I couldn’t wait to get off this island. And I did! I went to Australia and America and China and every place in between. But you know what? In the end I kept thinking about coming back home. Here. The only life I’d ever really known. And this thing that I do? Sharing what I know about the island. My grandfather taught me and his grandfather taught him. It keeps our history alive and it’s a great responsibility.”


“Wow,’ John replied, “That’s a wonderful answer. I live in New Zealand now you know. I left America and promised myself I would never look back. There are too many painful memories there. But now I wonder about home all the time. Where I came from. Where I’m going.”


“Sounds like we’re not so different,” Gao replied. “And let me add one thing about what I do. Every time I do this walk, and I’ve done it thousands of times, I see something different. The way the wind is blowing or the way the plants have grown or some new question people ask that forces me to think about things in a different way. Every day is new. And I have a lot of gratitude for that.”


“That kind of mindfulness that you describe is a feeling I’ve been chasing my whole life. I really try and live in the present in my life and work but I’ve lost a lot and my mind often drifts back to the past. But I’ve really enjoyed hearing your view on all of this and I think I’ve really learned something.”


“Well good. I’m glad. That’s what this walk is all about,” he said with a big laugh.

“And one more thing doctor.”


“Yea?’



“You can’t put your arms around a memory.”



“I think I know that song,’ John said as he returned the laugh. “Johnny Thunders 1978?”


“Yes! And Gao, 2015.”

No comments:

Post a Comment